Friday, June 2, 2023

(2890) Osaka 16: Sakai 6

Nihon_arekore_02917_Osaka_16_Sakai_Traditional_Crafts__santoku_1_100_cl

 As a rule I don't cook: I don't have the patience or the talent and, to be completely honest, food is very low in my priority system to care much about its preparation --simply put, if I could afford it, I would always eat out. But I am very much interested in craftsmanship, what in Japanese is called "mono zukuri" (物作り) and I like very much objects that cut so I wanted a Sakai knife since I learnt about them and now that I came here, I got it! It is of the "santoku" (三徳) type, which means it is all-purpose (i.e. it can cut meat, fish and vegetables) and this is why it can be found in all Japanese kitchens, home or professional. From left, the bag Sakai museum shop's bag, the paper the box was wrapped in, the knife in the box, various papers that came with saying that it is a real, handmade Sakai knife and giving tips about its maintenance so it will last for many years and the box's lid. 

Nihon_arekore_02917_Osaka_16_Sakai_Traditional_Crafts__santoku_2_100_cl

The back side of the bag --so there won't be any doubts about what's in it. 

Nihon_arekore_02917_Osaka_16_Sakai_Traditional_Crafts__santoku_3_100_cl

And the knife itself. The engraving (堺忠義作) is the craftsman's signature which, if I'm not mistaken is read "Sakai Tadayoshi". 

(For a bigger version of these pictures both in color and black and white, check my "Japan Arekore" set on Flickr).

0 comments: