Friday, February 10, 2023

(2815) At the source #5: The moribund

Nihon_arekore_02844_Shorinzan_Daruma_to_burn_1_100_cl

Next to Shorinzan's entrance dozens of used Daruma are waiting to be burned in the special ceremony held by the temple every January --the ceremony is called otakiage (お焚き上げ) in Shorinzan (in other temples, it's called kuyo/供養) but it was held on a different day. Besides, I wouldn't want to see it because as I've said before, I don't agree with the custom of burning the Daruma after you have achieved your goal and have painted the second eye: I have all mine at home or have given them to friends.  

Nihon_arekore_02844_Shorinzan_Daruma_to_burn_2_100_cl

(For a bigger version of these pictures both in color and black and white, check my "Japan Arekore" set on Flickr).

0 comments: